Monday, 27 July 2015

Quorn Chilli Con Carne

Good morning everyone.

I won't be sharing a baking recipe with you today, instead I decided to share one of my favourite recipes that I have been making for a while.

I make it at University and it's great as I manage to get 4 or 5 meals out of it every time...

It's so quick and easy to make and I love it!

Quorn Chilli Con Carne

I'm not a vegetarian, however we switched to Quorn for a healthier meal plan and we can never tell the difference so I've never used anything else.

For this recipe you will need:

  • 1 jar Uncle Ben's Chilli Con Carne (Mild or Medium I go for)
  • 1 tin Red Kidney Beans (in chilli sauce is better than water)
  • 1 packet Quorn Mince


I honestly love Quorn Mince, I think it takes great and you cannot tell that it isn't meat once it's in a chilli or a bolognese.

Method:

Step 1:

First of all, you need to brown the mince for around 5 minutes on a high heat. I put a good glug of oil into the pan for this as it needs a good coating, due to the fact that it hasn't got any of its own fats or juices to cook in.


Step 2:

Add the jar of Uncle Ben's Chilli Con Carne sauce and give it a good stir. Turn it down to a medium heat and let it cook through for a couple of minutes and allow the Quorn to soak up the liquid.


I'm not a fan of hot chilli so I tend to buy the mild one. However, on occasion I will go for the medium heat one, in which case I normally add sour cream to the basket as well to tone it down a little.

Step 3:

Add the tin of kidney beans.


I love kidney beans! They are really good for you too, I started adding them to chilli purely because I like them and it also bulks it up a bit and means that I could get a few extra meals out of it but on researching them, I found that kidney beans are really good for you.

They're loaded with potassium, fiber, iron and protein. They can help keep blood pressure in check, reduce cholesterol and fight off heart disease! They can also help with weight loss as they slowly release carbohydrates and are sometimes called "starch blockers" by dietitians.

Step 4:

Once you have done this you can leave it for 10-12 minutes on a low heat to simmer. Give it a stir every few minutes to keep it all moving and preventing the bottom from burning.


Serving suggestion:

I am a big fan of Jacket Potato filled with chilli but I also have this dish with rice.


These single portion packs of microwavable rice were absolutely perfect for me at University. It was just the right amount and they lasted me a long time too! They only take 90 seconds to cook so it's a quick and easy meal, but it's still really healthy! Not like microwavable chips like some of my flatmates started to eat!


This is one of my favourite meals, especially in the winter when it's cold and you want a good home cooked meal to warm you up! I like to have it with rice and sometimes I like to sprinkle some grated cheese over the top and let it melt!

Another of my favourite ways to eat this is on a buttered jacket potato with sour cream and grated cheese! That was always my winter Saturday night meal when I came home from work before I left for University.

Meal 1 of 5:

As I said earlier on in my post, this will last me for 4 or 5 meals at a time! It depends on the size of mince packet I buy. All I do is spoon it evenly into plastic boxes and let it cool and then I stack them in the freezer with the date on and what it is...



I hope to hear from anyone who has had a go at this, especially if you're at University!

I also would like to know what everyone thinks of Quorn as a substitute!



Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. This is my favourite too Brogie...especially with jackets, sour cream and cheese. Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brogan,

    Thanks for sharing this fuss free and delicious weekday cooking recipe. Like you, I cook a large portion in advance too and divide them into freezable portions! Nice quorn chilli con carne... I love it because it is vegetarian :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments...