Thursday, 9 April 2015

Easter Nest Cupcakes

Hello everyone.

I hope everyone had a good Easter.

Today I am going to share a recipe with you for some cupcakes.

When I was younger, my mum and I used to make Easter Nests at Easter time and over the past few years I have spent all the upcoming weeks to Easter saying that I would make some Chocolate Nests and the proceeded to forget about them and have not made any. But this year I was determined to make them and I thought that I would go one better and put them on top of some cupcakes.

For 24 Easter Nest Cupcakes, you will need:

  • 230 g (4 oz) butter
  • 230 g (4 oz) caster sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 230 g (4 oz) self-raising flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 4 shredded wheat biscuits
  • 200 g chocolate (melted)
  • Mini Eggs

Method

Step 1:

Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl (an electric whisk is normally the best way to do this). Do this until the mixture becomes paler and smooth.


Step 2:

Add the eggs one at a time and beat the mixture after each egg is added.

Step 3:

Carefully sieve in the flour and baking powder and fold them into the mixture.

Do not beat or whisk the mixture as you will knock out any air you have put into the cakes when beating the eggs.


Step 4:

Divide the mixture equally between paper cases. I usually start with 1 teaspoon in each and then half a teaspoon until they are all pretty even.


I like to use silicone cases to stand my paper cases in. I find that the cupcakes are less likely to slant and cook on an angle when they have something to support them.


Step 5:

Bake the cupcakes in a preheated oven at 190⁰C (170⁰C fan or Gas Mark 5) for 20-25 minutes.

Step 6:

When the cakes are baked they should be golden and springy to the touch, leave them to cool whilst making the nests.


Step 7:

To make the nests, melt the chocolate either over a saucepan or in the microwave, whichever you are more comfortable with.



Step 8:

Break up the shredded wheat biscuits into the melted chocolate and stir it in and make sure it's all well coated in the chocolate.


Step 9:

Take a heaped teaspoon of the chocolate/shredded wheat mixture and place it in the centre on top of each cupcake. Use the handle of another teaspoon (to prevent sticky fingers) to make a hole in the chocolate mixture to look like a nest.

Step 10:

Place 2 Mini Eggs in each nest.


They are a great idea for Easter and like I said, you can always just make the nests without the cupcakes. Just use the same method and spoon the nests into paper cases instead of on top of a cupcake.

If you're not a fan of Shredded Wheat, it works just as well with Cornflakes or even Coco Pops and Rice Krispies.


Please leave a comment and let me know if anyone tries this recipe.

Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful Easter Treats Brogie....and it wasn't even my kitchen that got messy this time. Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I could eat one or even two of these yummy cupcakes.
    Thank you for the turorial.
    Chrissyxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments...