Monday, 23 February 2015

Pancakes

Hi everyone!

As I am sure you are all aware, last Tuesday was Pancake Day or Shrove Tuesday if you prefer!

One of my favourite things to make is pancakes! I get a craving for them sometimes and I just can't resist whipping up a batch.

A lot of people ask me why I make them when you can just buy them, but it's obviously better when it's home made (isn't everything?!) and with pancakes being one of the simplest recipes to make, you may as well make them from scratch.

I must admit though that I am not very experimental with flavours of pancake. I am more a fan of changing the fillings rather than the recipe.

To me, a plain and simple pancake is the best!

I use the simplest and, in my mind, the best recipe for a pancake mix.


For these pancakes, you will need:

Ingredients
  • 4 oz/ 100 g plain flour
  • ½ a pint/ 250 ml whole milk
  • 1 medium egg
  • A pinch of salt
  • 1 Cal Oil Spray
Equipment
  • 1 large bowl
  • 1 small bowl and a fork (for beating the egg)
  • 1 whisk
  • 1 non-stick frying pan
  • 1 silicone spatula/fish slice
  • 1 ladle
Method:


Step 1:

Sieve all of the flour into a bowl and add the salt.

Step 2:

Break and beat the egg into a small bowl.

Step 3:

Add the egg to the dry ingredients and then the milk. It doesn't have to be added gradually or anything, just throw it all in!

Step 4:

Whisk well! I use a whisk because it allows the air to get into the batter and make the pancakes light and fluffy!

Step 5:

Leave the batter to rest for around 30 minutes. Room temperature is fine or in the fridge if you prefer, but when you are ready to make the pancakes, give the batter another good whisk for 2 minutes to prevent the dry ingredients settling at the bottom of the bowl.

Step 6:

Turn on the oven so that it is warm, it only has to be on to keep the pancakes warm as you are making the rest. Place a plate in the oven to put the pancakes on. Turn on the hob to low/medium.

Step 7:

Spray the frying pan with 1 Cal Oil Spray (I usually give it 2/3 sprays) and let the pan warm up for a couple of seconds on the hob. Then, depending on the size of the ladle, half fill the ladle with pancake batter and pour it directly into the centre of the pan.


The 1 Cal Oil Spray is the best for this as it means that your pancakes don't end up oily and soggy and also it provides good protection for your frying pan. I have never ever had a problem with pancakes sticking to the pan either when using this Oil Spray.

I know that everyone thinks that you have to be super quick when making pancakes and to quickly spread all of the batter around the pan before it cooks but if you have the hob low enough you don't have to rush at all.

If you are rushing and the pancake is cooking before you have chance to put the bowl down containing the pancake batter then the heat of your hob is too high.

Step 8:

When you see the pancakes start to cook it will probably go a little brown on the very edges but that's because it's thinner batter around the edges. Very rarely should you have to use the spatula to release the edges but I tend to run the spatula around the sides just to prevent it from burning. 

Hopefully with your non-stick pan and 1 Cal Oil Spray you should just be able to shake the pan to release the pancake. If not, just carefully slide your spatula under the pancake and ease it off the pan.

Step 9:

Are you brave enough to flip the pancake? If you are then go ahead. I flipped every single one for the first time this year and only folded 2 pancakes out of 16 which I don't think is too bad!

Cook the pancake on the other side until it is golden brown.

You can always flip them a couple more times if you want them to cook a little more, but after a couple of pancakes you should have the timing right and only have to flip them once.

Step 10:

Remove the pancake from the pan and place on the plate in the oven to keep it warm until you have made the full batch.

Step 11:

Leaving the pan off the heat (before each new ladle of batter), spray the pan twice with the 1 Cal Oil Spray and then off you go again from Step 7.


Here are the finished pancakes. I made a batch of 16 pancakes which went down well with my mum and grandparents.

Due to moving house, my mum and I are staying with my Nan and Grandad so I think that they were pretty happy with my making tea for them for a night. Although my Nan still reminds me how she wasn't pleased with Oil Spray on her hob! She enjoyed the pancakes though!

They are so quick and easy to make, depending how many you have to make obviously. This batch was made with double the recipe as it was for four people.


My favourite fillings include:

  • Chocolate Spread
  • Lemon Juice and sugar
  • Ice cream and berries
  • Freshly squeezed orange

I hope you all had a great Pancake Day and hopefully there were no disasters with pancakes on the ceiling and stuck mixture on the pans.

Please feel free to leave comments and let me know what your favourite flavours and fillings are!

Thank you for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. Hi Brogan,

    We are fans of pancakes too!!! My fav recipe is always the one by Nigella and I think it is quite similar to yours too :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always love your pancakes Brogie....they are always perfect and taste brilliant. Mum xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments...