Monday, 9 February 2015

Berry, Banana & Spinach Smoothie

Good afternoon everyone!

As promised I am posting weekly on my blog, as baking is not as common for me nowadays it could literally be anything but I promise to post every week!

So today, I am going to share one of my smoothie recipes!

After my boyfriend and I booked our first holiday together, I decided to start eating healthier and blitz the belly for a bikini body. I've never been a fan of slimming down for the 'Summer Body' but Christmas and University binge eating has taken it's toll.

The recipes that I post for smoothies are merely ideas and you can literally put anything into a smoothie. As long as all the flavours work together, it will taste great!

For Berry, Banana & Spinach Smoothie, you will need:




Ingredients:
  • 1 apple
  • 1 banana
  • Fresh spinach
  • Frozen summer fruits
  • Fresh cranberry and raspberry juice










Equipment:
  • A smoothie blender
  • A chopping board
  • A chopping knife
  • A cup for your smoothie










Method:

Step 1:

Start by peeling and chopping up your banana, it doesn't have to be equal or anything as they are going to be blended anyway.

Make sure you don't take too much off when chopping the ends of the banana, some people don't mind them but me personally, I don't like to eat the ends.


Add to the blender.

Step 2:

Chop up your apple into quite small chunks. I found that they tended to block the blade if they were too big.

Be careful not to get any stray apple pips into the blender.

Add to the blender.

Step 3:

Add a cup full of the frozen summer fruits to your blender.

It is best to use frozen ones as then the smoothies is nice and cold and there is no need to add extra ice to the blender.

Seal up the packet to go back into the freezer. Frost-bitten berries don't taste very good!



I put the packet into a freezer bag and then twist it tightly, getting rid of excess air and put a food clip around the twisted bag.

Step 4:

Take a hand full of spinach and put it into the blender.

(I know this might sound a bit weird but you can't even taste it in the smoothie).

[HEALTH FACTS]

Spinach is a super-food and Pop eye was definitely onto something! Dark leafy greens like spinach are important for skin and hair, bone health, and provide protein, iron, vitamins and minerals.

One cup of raw spinach contains 27 calories, 0.86 grams of protein, 30 milligrams of calcium, 0.81 grams of iron, 24 milligrams of magnesium, 167 milligrams of potassium, 2813 IUs of Vitamin A and 58 micrograms of folate.

Spinach is one of the best sources of dietary potassium, weighing in at 839 mg per cup (cooked). To compare, one cup of banana has about 539 mg of potassium.

A lack of iron in your diet can affect how efficiently your body uses energy. Spinach is a great non-heme source of iron, along with lentils, tuna and eggs.

Make sure you keep your spinach fresh by sealing the bag with a clip or a twist tie and put it in the fridge.


Step 5:

Finally add the juice, this is just the water down the fruit so that it blends properly and isn't too thick.

You can use water if you like but I prefer to add to the flavours further by using juice.


Step 6:

One word... Blend!


I bought the Salter - Personal Blender with 2 bottles. It was a great price and I thought it was the perfect size for me being at University.

It's quick and easy to use, so it's great to have one at breakfast because I can whip one up in 5 minutes and then take it to my early morning lectures with me to wake me up and kick start my day with a tasty nutritious smoothie.


Now you can enjoy a healthy and great tasting smoothie. I've never really thought of having smoothies but when the holiday was booked and I realised that I wasn't eating anywhere near enough fruit, I decided to give it a go.

I've been having smoothies 4/5 days a week now for 3 weeks and I feel so much better in myself. It's a great way of getting the minerals and nutrients that you need and only having to have one drink instead of 5 pieces of fruit separately throughout the day.

They make for a very filling snack at dinner time too!

Step 7: 

ENJOY!


I want to start getting more adventurous with my smoothie recipes so hopefully soon I will attempt some strange recipes, maybe with vegetables.

Thanks for stopping by and please feel free to leave a comment.

5 comments:

  1. Nice to see your eating well Brogie and that the blender is coming in handy....Mum xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you. I am ready to experiment with smoothies. I want to come back and see what you have done with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There will be more recipes soon :) xx

      Delete
  3. What a cool gadget! I love smoothies but haven't made them in a while - I usually have them in the summer months. I've never tried adding spinach though - must give that a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, you can't even taste the spinach and it's a great way to get it into your diet. I love these smoothies because they're refreshing and they are great to whip up and take to an early morning lecture as breakfast! Plus it helps me with a balanced diet, being a student makes your diet a little messy sometimes! xx

      Delete

Thank you for your comments...